GENERAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Coverage is available to persons who meet the following general requirements:
You are a "resident" of the State of Alaska;
"Resident is defined as the following:
- A person who is physically present in the state;
- has lived in the state for at least the 12 months preceding
application or since birth if less than 12 months;
- and, intends to remain permanently in the state.
"Resident" is also defined as a person who is not physically in the state if:
- The person lived in the state for at least 9 of the 12 months
immediately preceding application;
- and the person's absence from the state is for medical
treatment or education.
You must also meet one of the Eligibility categories listed below.
At least one of the following must apply in addition to meeting all of the General Eligibility Guidelines as outlined above to be considered under Medical Eligibility guidelines.
- You have received from at least one health insurer a notice of rejection for health insurance dated within the last six months; or,
- You have received restrictive riders that substantially reduce coverage.
If you meet all of the General Eligibility Guidelines as outlined above and suffer from one of the following, you are eligible under the Medical Condition.
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
Artificial Heart Valve
Cirrhosis of the Liver
Hepatitis C (Active)
Lead Poisoning with Cerebral Involvement
Lupus Erythematosus Disseminate
Malignant Tumor (if treated or has occurred within last four years)
Motor or Sensory Aphasia
Multiple or Disseminated Sclerosis
Muscular Atrophy or Dystrophy
Obesity - Morbid
Open Heart Surgery
Paraplegia or Quadriplegia
Peripheral Arteriosclerosis (if treatment within last three years)
Polyarteritis (periarteritis nodosa)
Sickle Cell Anemia
Splenic Anemia (True Banti's Syndrome)
Tabes Dorsalis (locomotor ataxia)
Thalassemia (Cooley's or Mediterranean Anemia)
Topectomy and Lobotomy
FEDERAL DEFINED ELIGIBILITY
If you meet the criteria outlined below, you are eligible as a Federally Defined Individual.
- You are domiciled in the State of Alaska;
- You have at least 18 months of prior health insurance coverage without a 90 day or more break in such coverage;
- Your most recent health insurance coverage was under a group plan;
- You are not eligible for other group health insurance coverage including Medicare, Veteran's benefits, Native Health Care or Medicaid;
- Your most recent health insurance coverage was not terminated due to nonpayment of premium or fraud;
- You have elected and exhausted any COBRA or similar coverage;
- You do not have other health insurance coverage
FEDERALLY DEFINED ELIGIBILITY
(Trade Adjustment Assistance-TAA)
If you meet the criteria outlined below, you are eligible as a Federal Trade Act Assistance Individual.
- You are a displaced worker under the Trade Adjustment Assistance Act;
- You receive a pension managed by the Pension Benefit Guaranty; and
- Your eligibility for HCTC has been determined by the federal HCTC program.
Confused about whether you are eligible? Don’t hesitate to call us - or an insurance broker in your own community. We are all available to help you determine the best program for your situation.
ACHIA (888) 290-0616
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 AM to 5 PM Alaska Time
Alaska Association of Health Underwriters 907-644-1466 or visit http://www.nahu.org/consumer/findagent3.cfm?State=AK